Visitors from countries outside the EU may obtain a refund of VAT (Value Added Tax) on goods purchased in Portugal and carried as personal luggage. Only individuals can have access to this refund.
Further information on the refund of VAT at:
– Premier Tax Free
– Innova Taxfree Portugal
If you are travelling within the EU, there is no limit on the amount or value of goods you may import, providing your goods are for personal consumption. Goods imported for commercial purposes are subject to duty and the following guideline amounts are in place to determine whether this is the case:
• 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg of tobacco.
• 10L of spirits over 22% volume, 20L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume, 90L of wine (no more than 60L of sparkling wine) and 110L of beer.
If you are arriving from a non-EU country, the following goods may be imported into Portugal by persons over 17 years of age without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
• 4L of wine and 16L of beer and 1L of spirits over 22% volume or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume.
• Other goods up to the value of €430 for air and sea travellers and €300 for other travellers (reduced to €150 for children under 15).
Travellers who enter or leave the European Union territory carrying amounts with them equal to or higher than €10,000, should declare this amount to the Customs authorities, regardless of nationality.